David Warner heads Centre’s litigation, audit, and investigation practices. He is a seasoned trial lawyer and counselor with more than twenty years of experience in the resolution and litigation of complex business and employment disputes before state and federal courts and agencies. His practice is particularly focused on the government contractor, nonprofit, and hospitality industries.
David has dealt extensively with the U.S. Department of Justice and offices of inspector general of several agencies, including the General Services Administration, with respect to audits and investigations concerning alleged fraud, False Claims Act, and Trade Agreement Act compliance issues. He also has extensive experience representing contractors in affirmative action, Davis-Bacon Act, and Service Contract Labor Standards (formerly the “Service Contract Act”) compliance audits. David also routinely advises contractors with respect to bid protests, claims, and appeals. David’s commercial litigation experience includes representation of contractors in teaming agreement and subcontract disputes before federal and state courts, including piracy of employees, clients, and intellectual property. He has also represented contractors before the U.S. Court of International Trade.
David routinely represents employers in litigation concerning alleged violations of Title VII, the ADA, ADEA, and other federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination and retaliation. In addition to day-to-day counseling on employment actions, David provides guidance concerning the design and implementation of effective and defensible application, hiring, promotion, and compensation practices, including conducting comprehensive audits of personnel practices to proactively identify and remediate issues that could give rise to class claims.
David Warner, Partner
- Defense jury verdict on behalf of government contractor accused of discrimination and retaliation arising out of termination of in-house attorney.
- Defense jury verdict on behalf of government contractor accused of violating USERRA in deciding not to convert temp-to-perm staff member to regular employment.
- Representation of AbilityOne contractor in Department of Justice and GSA Inspector General Investigation Defeated class certification in nationwide race discrimination in promotions matter pending before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- Successful bid protest on behalf of air services company in $28 million acquisition.
- Successful bid protest intervention on behalf of aerospace contractor protecting awardee status in $190 million acquisition.
- Representation of multi-billion dollar food manufacturing company in successful resolution of OFCCP glass ceiling audit.
- Comprehensive equity analysis of management pay at Fortune 500 company, including implementation of remedial adjustments to employee compensation.
- Recognized in Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, Virginia, 2013 and 2014
Recognized in Legal 500, Not-For-Profit, 2014
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- Lunch & Learn: Bid Protests and Compliance Updates, Boot Camp for GSA Schedules (March 2018)
- Legal Compliance Update, Annual Review: Hot Issues in Federal Contracting (March 2018)
- Bid Protests, Litigation, and Legislation, Annual Review: Hot Issues in Federal Contracting (March 2018)
- Full Cost of Paid Sick Leave for Federal Employees, Contractors, Federal News Radio, (February 2018)
- Advanced Employment Law for Federal Contractors (April 2016)
- Service Contract Labor Standards (February 2016)
- What Every In-House Counsel Needs to Know About Government Contracting (December 2015)
- How to Avoid Hiring Mistakes in Your Nonprofit: Oops, Too Late! Finance and Administration Roundtable Luncheon Program (March 2015)
- Performance Management and Discipline: Common Pitfalls, Effective Solutions, Association of Corporate Counsel (May 2014)
- Focus on Nonprofit Employee Misclassification: Are Your Workers ‘Employees,’ ‘Volunteers’ or ‘Contractors? Association TRENDS Webinar (April 2014)
- Making Nice with Bring Your Own Device – Tips for Successfully Implementing a BYOD Policy, WMACCA Technology and IP Forum (December 2013)
- Common Pitfalls of Hiring and Managing Nonprofit Staff, Nonprofit Spark Radio (April 2013)
- Non-Compete Covenants: What You Need to Know to Run and/or Sell Your Business (June 2012)
- The Axeman Cometh: Avoid Common Blunders When Disciplining and Terminating Employees, ASAE’s Finance, HR & Business Operations Conference (June 2012)
- Big Brother’ in the Office: Helping Nonprofits Manage Employee Privacy in the Modern Workplace (March 2012)
- Employee Handbooks – Fundamentals and Follies (March 2011)